V for Vendetta (2005)

Director: James McTeigue
Cast: Natalie Portman, Hugo Weaving, Stephen Fry
Genre: Fantasy/Thriller
Certificate Rating: 15
My Rating: 5/5

Remember, remember the 5th of November,

The gun powder treason and plot.
I know of no reason, the gun powder treason,
should ever be forgot...



Set against the futuristic landscape of totalitarian Britain, V For Vendetta tells the story of a mild-mannered young woman named Evey who is rescued from a life-and-death situation by a masked vigilante known only as "V." Incomparably charismatic and ferociously skilled in the art of combat and deception, V ignites a revolution when he   detonates two London landmarks and takes over the government-controlled airwaves, urging his fellow citizens to rise up against tyranny and oppression. As Evey uncovers the truth about V's mysterious background, she also discovers the truth about herself - and emerges as his unlikely ally in the culmination of his plot to bring freedom and justice back to a 
society fraught with cruelty and corruption. (I had trouble with describing this film so IMDB helped here,)



******************

I was really curious about this film, I knew it was widely regarded and most people who watch it love it, so I jumped on the band-wagon and watched it. This film was amazing, very different from what I usually like to watch. It only clocked on to me that the antagonist of the film V's name meant 5 in Roman Numerals and obviously being set around the 5th of November, I thought this was a clever little tie in. Although the film is over 2 hours long I didn't get bored with it what so ever, you don't realise 2 hours have gone by because the story just keeps you wanting to know more. I found V's character amazing, witty and funny plus his character made me appreciate his efforts he was going through against the corrupt society. Natalie Portman's character of Evey was also brilliantly portrayed and the storyline is just fantastic. I have to say although I haven't read many graphic novels I may be picking this one up at my local bookstore. Definitely a film you have to see before you die. This film did however remind me of other novels such as George Orwell's 1984 and the idea of the mystery man behind the mask reminded me of Gaston Leroux's The Phantom of the Opera. This is a brilliant film and will definitely be watching it again. 

Enjoy x

IMDb:  V for Vendetta 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ways To Be Productive During Self Isolation

2020 GoodReads Challenge