Life of Pi by Yann Martel


Release Date: 2012
Publishers: Canon Gate Book Ltd.
Format: Paperback
Pages: 319
My Rating: 4/5

ONE BOY, ONE BOAT, ONE TIGER



After a tragic shipwreck, a solitary lifeboat is left at the mercy of the wild blue waters of the Pacific. The only survivors are a sixteen year old boy named Pi, a zebra with a broken leg, a hyena, an orang-utan - and a 450 pound Royal Bengal tiger.

Now a major motion picture from acclaimed director Ang Lee, the much loved 'Life of Pi' is a bewitching tale of adventure and friendship - and of finding courage in the most unexpected places.

***************
I just wanted to include an extract from the novel which sums up the story: "As an aside, story of sole survivor, Mr Piscine Molitor Patel, Indian citizen, is an astounding story of courage and endurance in the face of extraordinarily difficult and tragic circumstances. In the experience of this investigator, his story is unparalleled in the history of shipwrecks. Very few castaways can claim to have survived so long at sea as Mr. Patel, and none in the company of an adult Bengal tiger."

I have to say although I really struggled to get through this novel, which I will explain in the next sentence, I really enjoyed it and I found it gives you a more positive outlook on life. I think because I saw the movie and then read the novel I found myself picturing the actors and the movie is very similar to the novel without some chapters which I found would have been interesting the put into the movie. I was also in a reading slump during this book and I found that because the chapters were so small that I was getting easily tired and I would put it down after the end of most chapters.

Some chapters were a bit tedious and in a way you didn't necessarily need them, but as the story is based upon a survivor of a sinking ship stranded at sea, his life would be boring and tedious as he is floating, with a Bengal tiger, waiting for signs of life but at the same time I was intrigued as to how Pi would cope at sea. I found 'Life of Pi' interesting at the way it gives scientific information as to possibilities on how the ship would sink and how Pi had to survive by making a raft and using the solar stills and baiting food. One chapter that made me smile and even laugh was the absurdity of the flying fish and how both Pi and Richard Parker were dumbfounded at this sighting, how for weeks they had caught nothing and now without needing too food was coming to them.

I really loved Martel's description and how imagery is used magnificently within this novel. The chapter where Pi and Richard Parker encounter lightning was fascinating to read as who wouldn't be interested in the way lightning hits water? I also loved the chapter where Pi comes across lots of debris, such as a floating refrigerator with unappealing items inside. 'Life of Pi' really does make you think, I found this especially in the scenes where blind Pi came across the blind Frenchman who had killed two people and the carnivorous island. Both seem unbelievable and your left at the end of the chapters wondering was the blind Frenchman a figment of his imagination or not? Why was the island carnivorous?

I especially loved the ending where Pi is in a hospital in Mexico and is being interviewed by Japenese men who belong to the ship's company and they are trying to make out what Pi is telling. The two stories both seem truthful and real and as the reader you are left pondering what story was real. For me, the story with animals - it's more happy but still incredibly moving. The novel gives you an insight on how life would be if you were stranded and I have to say I'm moved and the best thing about this novel is that it makes sense. It's not far fetched, it seems almost based on real life. Yann Martel really did his research for the novel making it amazing.

So although I was in a reading slump and found it very hard to get through this novel, I really did enjoy it. I have to say the beginning is good the middle is a bit slow paced (I think that's where I got myself into a reading slump) and then the ending was my favourite as it gives you hope as the reader for Pi Patel and Richard Parker.

Enjoy x

GoodReads:  Life of Pi 

Available in most book stores and online now.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ways To Be Productive During Self Isolation

2020 GoodReads Challenge