Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (2012)

Director: Timur Bekmambetov
Genre: Action/Fantasy/Thriller
Cast: Benjamin Walker, Dominic Cooper, Mary Elizabeth Winstead
Certificate Rating: 15
Rating: 2/5

President by day. Hunter by night.


From a young age Lincoln has witnessed vampires. His mother was killed by one. Now, angry and out for revenge Lincoln aims to kill the vampire that killed his mother. With the help of his new acquaintance Henry Sturges they team together to fight the vampires in an epic battle.

*****************

I watched this movie expecting it to be comical, but I was surprised to find it a sort of parallel story to what was happening at the time of Lincoln himself. The idea of Lincoln being a vampire hunter works well especially in the scene when they are fighting for Gettysburg. I have to admit I was watching it for Dominic Cooper was starring in it!

As I began to watch the movie I did find it a little predictable, like Dominic Cooper's character Henry was a vampire and I was hoping from the beginning scene that Abraham would meet up with his Black American friend later on in life as it links with Abraham Lincoln's views on slavery.

I thought the vampires were cool, a bit of old school scary vampires for a change. They reminded me a little of the vampires depicted in The Lost Boys which I thought was good as the idea of vampires these days are not scary at all. (cough Twilight cough).

Although I do not know much about American history I did find this a good period(ish) film as the costumes and weaponry were highly detailed and fascinating to look at.  However the movie did not grip me as much as I was expecting it to. The action was good, the special effects were great (especially the beginning where time is rewinding around the White House), the story was good I just think something was missing or I was not as interested in it.

What were your opinions on this film? Feel free to leave a comment below :)

Enjoy x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ways To Be Productive During Self Isolation

2020 GoodReads Challenge