10 Films I Will Be Watching This Halloween

Halloween is tomorrow and what better way to get in the mood for the scariest night of the year than to watch lots of horror films. I'll admit the horror genre isn't my favourite but there are certainly some good horrors that I love to watch again and again.

Here are my ten go-to Horror films to watch this spooky season.



Hocus Pocus
This film goes without saying. Hands down one of my favourite films and I especially love to watch it at Halloween. I think I've watched it three times this month! Perfect casting, I love the Sanderson sisters and it has become a cult classic and so quotable! This is a non-scary film to calm your nerves after all the scary films you may have watched.

A Nightmare On Elm Street
1...2 Freddy's coming for you...
The Nightmare on Elm Street collection is always great to watch this time of year, the eerie children's chant and although the films are a little outdated in their scare factor they are still a classic horror. My favourite has to be the first one!

The Haunting
Adapted from The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson, a book that I read this month and included in my Halloween: Spooky Reads post, this film stars Catherine Zeta-Jones, Liam Neeson, Owen Wilson and Lili Taylor. It's a great film that really brings out the supernatural eerie side of the story and really plays with audiences mind on things that go bump in the night.

Scream
Another classic in its own right. Scream is a really clever film in how it is a mystery as to who is the Scream character, as well as how to critiques and makes obvious the horror genre tropes. The gives subtle hints in the first film but by the fourth film they become blindingly obvious.

Dog Soldiers
This is a bit of an underrated film. Set in Scotland, an army squad are sent on what they think is a  practice mission in the highlands, but as night falls they begin to understand that instead of hunting, they become the hunted.
First time I watched this film I was actually a little scared of the wolves, now I love this film. Again it has great one liners and the soldiers are great individually as well as a pack. Spoon is my favourite character and people might recognise Kevin McKidd from Greys Anatomy.

Shaun of the Dead
There is a reason why this made it in to my top ten films to watch on Halloween: Simon Pegg. He is a fantastic actor and when partnered with Nick Frost they become the best duo of late in films. I love every film that they star in and Shaun of the Dead is a British classic. Full of puns and great film editing, and a great soundtrack too, this will always get you wondering what would happen if a zombie apocalypse did happen.

The Lost Boys
An 80s classic! California and Vampires. I just love the storyline and the mood of this film, a lot of great actors and more importantly, another great soundtrack. Keifer Sutherland as the head vampire trying to entice new to town Michael to join his crew and the relationship between Michael and his brother Sam is something I always love watching. I love the Frog Brothers and they way Sam reacts when he realises Vampires are real.

Disturbia
Slightly different choice to the others on my list but I think Disturbia is a good film. About a boy is under house arrest and watches his neighbours, he begins to suspect his neighbour could be murdering women. This film pays homage to Hitchcock's Rear Window and I love the way the story line gets darker and deeper with the investigation and is a really good thriller.

The Orphanage
I tried to think of a horror that isn't your generic ones you'd find on a list and The Orphanage was one of the first to come to mind. A Spanish movie that really made an affect on the audience. I went and saw this in the cinemas when I was studying Film at A-Level and I remember being so gripped to the story, and what I liked most was that it is almost a daylight horror. It's also a very sad film when you get to the ending.

The Others
This film creeped me out as a teen when I watched it. I think to this day it still creeps me out a little. The film centres around a family living in a large home and the mother is convinced they are not alone in the house and it may in fact be haunted. A very darkly lit film that plays on shadows and people's feelings on being home alone in a giant house. The plot twist is always great too.

So there we have my top ten choice of horror films that I like to watch during the Halloween season. I will definitely be watching some of these on Halloween. There are plenty of great horrors out there that I haven't mentioned but these are some of the ones I love to revisit.

What's your favourite scary movie?

Leave a comment down below.

Enjoy x


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ways To Be Productive During Self Isolation

2020 GoodReads Challenge