To All The Boys I've Loved Before: P.S. I Still Love You (2020)

Director: Michael Fimognari
Writers: Sofia Alvarez, J. Mills Goodloe, Jenny Han (author)
Genre: Teen, Comedy, Romance
Running Time: 101mins
Cast: Lana Condor, Noah Centineo, Jordan Fisher
Country: USA
Production Companies: Ace Entertainment, Awesomeness Films, Netflix Studios
Distribution: Netflix
Certificate Rating: 12
My Rating: 3.5/5

First Love. Last Letter. 




For my review on the first film, To All The Boys I've Loved Before, click here.

We left To All The Boys I've Loved Before with Lara Jean confessing that she has feelings for Peter, and P.S. I Still Loves You picks up not long after there. The story follows Lara Jean and Peter as their relationship blossoms, however when it comes to volunteering for extra school curricular programs they agree to disagree to work at different places. Lara Jean applies to volunteer at a retirement home that her sister worked at and she is not alone; one of the recipients to her love letters, John Ambrose McClaren, is also volunteering at the same home. From here the audience witness their friendship rekindle alongside the ups and downs of relationships and trusting each other.

*****************

I really loved the first film and was excited to see if the second one would hold up to my expectations. Although it did, and P.S. I Still Love You is a good film, I just didn't love it as much as the first. I loved seeing the character development of Lara Jean and how Peter is still in a new and cute relationship with her.

These movies are your typical teen romance films. They fit the genre perfectly and really take tropes and inspiration from John Hughes' movies of the 80's. Lara Jean and Peter's relationship is slow and steady and adds to the cute factor, which we don't see a lot in modern teen movies. The audience witness friendships bloom and love triangles form, fuelled by jealous intentions and revelations, like when Lara Jean gets jealous of Peter's relationship with his ex-girlfriend.

P.S. I Still Love You has a heart warming realism and reminds the viewers that relationships are not like what we see in the movies, that they take work and compromise, there will not always be a fairy tale ending and I think that was a great theme to show to teens and all who watch these films. I am glad that Lara Jean sticks with Peter in the end of the film.

Saying that, there is a moment in the film when Lara Jean and Peter argue and we get this weird transition into a sad music video, Lara Jean also mimes the word of the song being played too, which is slightly reminiscent of the meme "staring out the window listening to music like you're in a music video". It was a little off-set with the rest of the film in my opinion and almost ruined the feel of the film, for me, but I overlooked it.

One noticeable difference from the first film is that during the end scene we see a guy arrive at the door being the last reply from the love letters, presumably John Ambrose McClaren. In this movie however the actor has changed to that of Jordan Fisher. I think it was a good change as he showed great likability for the fans of the film too. John Ambrose is a hopeful romantic as he gets to know Lara Jean again; under the influence of the love letter he hopes for a reignited love and is nothing but kind throughout the film. The end scene of the first film also becomes insignificant as the viewers see John Ambrose meet Lara Jean for the first time at the retirement home before they discuss the love letter.

Netflix announced that the third film was shot back to back with P.S. I Still Love You and I can't wait for it to be released. Teen movies are great to watch, and some of my guilty pleasure films, and have become as popular a genre as horrors and dramas for the modern audience.

What did you think of P.S. I Still Love You? Leave a comment below.

Enjoy x

IMDb: To All The Boys I've Loved Before: P.S. I Still Love You 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ways To Be Productive During Self Isolation

2020 GoodReads Challenge