January Favourites

A bit of a late post but what a weird month January has been. I feel like it has gone super quickly as well as being dragged out as much as possible.




Artist: LANY
If I'm honest I haven't really listened to new music this month but LANY is a recent discovery of mine and I have been constantly playing them all month. I discovered them in late November last year and have been obsessed. They have a really cool indie/California surfer vibe that I have found really chill to listen to. I find their music one I can truly listen to as well as play it in the background, they have that soulful and calming effect.

Album: Malibu Nights - LANY
So following on LANY being my favourite artist/band of the month, their album Malibu Nights is my choice of album to listen to in January. There are so many good songs on the album and I find myself listening to Thru These Tears, If You See Her and of course the self titled Malibu Nights.

Book: Lonely Planet's Ultimate Travelist
I received this book as a gift from my friend and I absolutely love it. One of the things I want to try and do this year is travel and this book has me wanting so many adventures. Filled with beautiful scenic images, descriptions and history of 500 of the top ranked places to visit across the globe, this book will give you never ending wanderlust. Plus Lonely Planet have included tips about the best ways to see some of these landmarks and include a few funny comments here and there too. Even now while I write this I'm thinking of some of the places in the book that I haven't been to yet.

Film: Mary Poppins Returns
January is usually Award Season for films in cinemas and this month has had a lot of great contenders. Films such as The Favourite, Stan & Ollie and even Glass were some really great films that are worthy of attention and most possibly awards in different film categories. However the one film that stole the show for me this month was Mary Poppins Returns. It is an AMAZING film. The amount of nostalgia I felt when watching this film, and I even saw it twice in cinemas, is incredible. Emily Blunt did a truly fantastic portrayal of Mary Poppins and she had the mannerisms down to a tee. The film has a great cast including: Lin Manuel Miranda who was superb as the Leary named Jack, Colin Firth who despite playing the villain in the film is still loveable to an extent; and there is also Meryl Streep playing Poppins' cousin Topsy as she deals with the troubles of her life turning upside down every second Wednesday of the month. Most importantly we can't forget the two spectacular cameos from Dick Van Dyke and Angela Lansbury - talk about hitting you right in the childhood feels. The soundtrack is amazing and A Cover Is Not The Book has been stuck in my head ever since. A truly fantastic film that all ages will love.

TV Show: Broad City
A late contender to this month as I have been watching a lot of TV shows for a change but Broad City made it as my favourite show of January. A last decision as only two episodes of season five had aired before the end of the month but in preparation of the final season I had binge watched all four previous seasons this month too. I love Abbi and Ilana's characters and find them hilarious as they deal with the troubles of living in New York City. I am so upset that Broad City is coming to an end but the show is an easy watch and I still laugh after the thousandth time watching any episode. Despite the show ending I am looking forward to seeing what Ilana and Abbi get up to in the future, plus I'm secretly hoping that they'll do a one off episode to see where their characters had got to in life.

Playlist:
1. A Cover Is Not The Book - Mary Poppins Returns
2. Before He Cheats - Carrie Underwood
3. Wasabi - Little Mix
4. Strip - Little Mix
5. Current Location - LANY
6. If You Wanna Love Somebody - Tom Odell
7. Shelby '68 - Kylie Minogue
8. Thru These Tears - LANY
9. Westworld - Evan Giia
10. Zero - Imagine Dragons

Moment of the Month: Mamma Mia! The Musical
Mamma Mia! has been running for almost twenty years in London and currently showing at the Novello Theatre, the show makes for a fun-pact night. I'm a fan of ABBA and a huge lover of both Mamma Mia and Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again films so naturally I'd love the original theatre production. The story follows Sophie, a young girl about to be married, who wants to know who are real father is. Upon finding her mother's journal Sophie discovers that she has three possible fathers and invites them to her wedding, and the story unravels from there.
It's really interesting to see how the movies took inspiration and were adapted from the theatre show and noticing the subtle differences along the way. I won't divulge too much but anyone who is a fan of a fun, cheek-to-cheek smiling experience, and of course is a fan of some of ABBA's greatest hits should check out this production. It was a wonderful production and you'll be dancing in your seat or joining along with the singing all the way through.

App of the Month: Letterboxd 
For years I have been going to the cinema and collecting tickets as a way of recording the films I have seen, and I have a scrapbook filled with overflowing cinema tickets; however all of that has changed since I stumbled upon this app. Letterboxd is a social app for film lovers where you can log a film you've seen, review it and discuss it with other members who have also seen the film. The easiest way to describe this app would be like what GoodReads is for book-lovers, Letterboxd is for cinephiles. I really love this app as it allows me to log all the films I've seen using a five star rating, I can even record the date I saw the film (which means I no longer need to keep the cinema tickets) and review the film in my own words. I also love that you can see if your followers/people you are following have seen the same films or not and can start a discussion, as well as creating lists such as 'Films You Want To See' or 'Favourite Films of All Time'. You can find me on Letterboxd @Reed2394


Hope you've all had a great start to 2019

Enjoy x


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ways To Be Productive During Self Isolation

2020 GoodReads Challenge