Not That Kind Of Girl by Lena Dunham

Released: 2014
Publishers: 4th Estate - HarperCollins Publishers Ltd.
Format: Hardback
Pages: 277
My Rating: 4/5

A funny intel into the life of Lena Dunham

From the acclaimed creator, producer, and star of HBO's Girls comes a hilarious, wise, and fiercely candid collection of personal essays that establishes Lena Dunham as one of the most original young talents writing today.

In Not That Kind of Girl, Dunham illuminates the experiences that are part of making one's way in the world: falling in love, feeling alone, being ten pounds overweight despite eating only health food, having to prove yourself in a room full of men twice your age, finding true love, and, most of all, having the guts to believe that your story is one that deserves to be told.
**************
Going into this book I had only heard of Lena Dunham through my friends talking about the HBO programme Girls. I had also seen only one season of Girls, and that being the first season, so I didn't have much to go on; my friend also insisted that I read this book after she gushed over how funny and true it was. So naturally, being somewhat minimally educated in the world of Lena (I mean, she's in Taylor Swift's squad) I picked up the book.

Not That Kind of Girl is insightful, witty and relatable. I found myself laughing, agreeing and sometimes cringing at what Lena expresses throughout her essays. She has a hilarious way of describing her stories which almost makes you feel like she's there telling you, like sometimes you're there with her, although in some of the stories I'd prefer to stay as just the reader, but her stories are comparable and eccentric for most people out there.

I also have to mention, this is my nerdy book lover side coming out, how pretty the physical book actually is. The hardback, which is the version I had borrowed from a friend, is white with gold foiled letters down the spine, and on the inside was this collage of tiny little illustrations, almost kaleidoscopic, which relates to some of the things Lena is passionate about or icons which crop up in some of her stories. These designs bring a feel to the book showing it isn't just a fictional story or autobiography, but it is her story.

Enjoy x

Since reading this I have also signed up to Lenny's Letter, written by Lena Dunham and Jenni Konner (and a few other friends) who write articles which are sent out twice a week via email about very contemporary topics. Feel free to have a read: Lenny Letter

Author's Website:  Lena Dunham 
GoodReads:  Not That Kind of Girl  

Available in most book stores and online now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ways To Be Productive During Self Isolation

2020 GoodReads Challenge