Divergent (2014)

Director: Neil Burger
Writers: Veronica Roth, Evan Daugherty, Vanessa Taylor
Genre: Sci-Fi, Action, Adventure
Running Time: 139 mins
Cast: Shailene Woodley, Theo James, Miles Teller
Country: USA
Production Company: Summit Entertainment
Filming Locations: Chicago, Illinois
Certificate Rating: 12a
My Rating: 5/5
What Makes You Different, Makes You Dangerous


A thrilling action-adventure film set in a world where people are divided into distinct factions based on human virtues, Divergent is based on the best-selling book series by Veronica Roth.

Tris Prior is warned she is Divergent and will never fit into any one group. When she discovers a conspiracy by a faction leader to destroy all Divergents, Tris must learn to trust in the mysterious Four. Together they must find out what makes being Divergent so dangerous before it's too late.
*****************
One of my favourite book to movie adaptations. Up there with the Hunger Games - my two favourites!!

I have to admit I saw Divergent when it was first released in (UK) cinemas back in April and I hadn't read the books before seeing the film. Oops I know! This was purely amazing! Neil Burger did an amazing job at recreating Veronica Roth's Divergent Series. The world is truly spectacular to the point where its ideologies make you question if this could be our possible future? Will we result to these types of run down cities due to corruption and battle? I remember thinking that it was such a cool innovative world and the fact that the film and the mise-en-scene within the film was so breath taking that after I got back from seeing the film I'm pretty sure I brought the books. I literally became obsessed with the world Veronica Roth had created. I salute her epicness! I remember reading the books and being truly taken away by this dystopian world and thinking how awesome yet horrible their world is. That the idea of killing to survive comes naturally to them.

When Divergent came out on DVD, and I had read the trilogy and appreciated it in all its glory, I re-watched the film and I have to say the creators stuck to the story as close a possible. I mean some things have changed but the producers and the team behind the film stayed true to Roth's creation.
One thing I'm a little upset about is that you don't get to understand Al as a character in the film compared to reading about him in the books. In the books you get to see his development as a character more truly and see the pain and struggle he goes through when Dauntless leaders change the rules for initiates and the pain he goes through dealing with his feelings for Tris. (Yes SPOILER) Al was such an amazing character in the books and you don't get to see the extent of it in the movie so when he kills himself in the movie you don't wholly understand why but if you've read the books you feel a lot more sympathy for him. Oh Al! (Runs to the nearest TV/Laptop/Screen and watches Divergent whilst holding the book and reading the book).

I'm slightly gutted that we don't get to see much of Uriah in Divergent as he comes in to play quite a major minor role (if that makes sense?). But I've heard that Uriah will make more of an appearance in Insurgent and especially Allegiant. But I mean Uriah was the guy to introduce Tris to zip lining off the tower! And let's not forget about that awesome zip lining scene in the film. It was absolutely breath taking - I think they created that perfectly. No words could describe that scene for me its just... see what I mean! The fact that the audience get to experience it with her and through her emotions we essentially feel what she is feeling. It just tips the iceberg on how amazing this film is! The zip lining scene is one of my favourite scenes from the film, and this was before I read Allegiant, no spoilers but I can not watch the zip lining scene now without feeling absolutely heart broken thinking of the ending of Allegiant! Anyone else agree?

Finally, now let us not forget the main characters which Veronica Roth's trilogy surrounds and would not be what it is without them: Tris and Four/Tobias. Or as the fans call their ship name: FourTris. Brilliant! Shailene Woodley is possibly one of my most favourite up and coming actresses. She's so beautiful and Woodley portrays her characters so wonderfully that you imagine no one else in their place. I could literally think of no one else to play the character of Tris. Her acting is award worthy especially the scene where her mother (in Divergent) has just been shot; you know Shailene is truly acting here and you can feel the emotional situation through her hearty sobs and screams. But I think the main thing to talk about here is the connection Shailene and Theo James have. They are just fab and who doesn't love a good love story? I mean Tris and Tobias' love story isn't the gushy romantic love you see in most films; theirs is more joining together to change the government and put what should be right, right. Theo James is hilarious as Four; his dead-panned face when making sarcastic comments and his voice and lets not forget the crucial scene for most fan girls when he shows Tris his tattoos. I still can't believe he played the horrible lad in the first Inbetweeners Movie!

I have to admit I really can not wait for Insurgent and I could easily talk about Divergent and the world of Divergent all day so if you haven't seen it I'm afraid I might have spoiled areas for you.

Enjoy x

My Book Reviews on:
Divergent
Insurgent  
Allegiant

Author's Website:  Veronica Roth  
IMDb:  Divergent 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ways To Be Productive During Self Isolation

2020 GoodReads Challenge